Friday, January 18, 2013

Thanks, Internet!

Blog Makeover

I love finding and using helpful tutorials online - what did we do before Google and Pinterest?

I decided to use part of my snow day (term used lightly) to update my blog. I wanted to change my header to a picture collage, and I found a super helpful tutorial that made it so simple. Check it out if you are a blogger and are interested in making a picture header!

http://www.memoriesoncloverlane.com/2009/08/tutorial-on-how-to-make-blog-banner.html

Christmas...in January!


I'm also a big fan of making Christmas presents. I wanted to post this back when I was making them, but that obviously defeats the purpose of a present! I found this idea on Pinterest in another very helpful tutorial.
http://twogirlsbeingcrafty.blogspot.com/2011/02/ramseys-finally-have-coasters.html

Here are some that I made!

I bought plain white bathroom tiles at Lowes for a whopping $0.16 a piece. I cut a tile template out of a file folder, and traced the square on to pretty Christmasy/wintery scrapbook paper.


Ah, Mod Podge. My best craft friend. Cover the tile in Mod Podge...


Then add the picture! I found it was helpful to Mod Podge the corners/edges down after this step. The first round of coasters that I made had issues with the corners popping up.


Let that set for a couple minutes, then cover the top of the tile in Mod Podge, too. I love Mod Podge because it dries so fast!


At this point, I put my camera away for whatever reason and stopped taking pictures of my steps. Oops. The rest is easy, though. I glued felt pieces on the bottom corners of the coasters to keep them from sliding. I used E-600 glue, which is waterproof and super strong! It also smells really weird and has cancer warnings on the back...um, maybe keep your use of it to a minimum. Jared advised me to not eat it. I'll probably be fine. ;)

Then I used spray Mod Podge (also a great invention!) to further seal the coaster and make it more waterproof. I would advise doing that outside...just not on a windy day!

Once they were dry, I tied them up in a ribbon and that was that! They were pretty easy to make, and have heard that they work well. It would be fun to make them for different seasons and holidays!




No comments:

Post a Comment