Thursday, August 30, 2012

Things That Make Me Laugh

Busy, busy week this week! Its what Jared and I have decided will be our typical busy-ness and I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. We've done church things, school things, parties (eating cupcakes with giggly children...just terrible), we've visited sweet old church members, and spent half of our life savings (slight exaggeration) going grocery shopping yesterday. Going shopping without the benefit of gift cards from wedding celebrations is a revolting development, but I'm also learning the art of coupon clipping!

As can be expected, a week this busy is a week full of funny things happening. If you are in need of a pick-me-up, you've come to the right place.

Spirit Week
This week was spirit week at MCCS to support our girl's volleyball team! They smashed their opponent last Friday night and were excited to celebrate this week. Monday was pajama day. Kids are always sleepy on pajama day. Tuesday was nerd day, and at least a third of the school's population had their pants under their armpits. Pigtails and taped glasses dotted the campus and everyone talked like Steve Urkel. Yesterday was crazy hat and sock day! It was also picture day, so the kids were bursting at the seams to put on their hats once we had our pictures taken. And today was crazy hair day.

Crazy Hair Day
When you're a teacher, you do things like plan to run errands after school. Like going to the license plate agency, for instance. And then you do things like sleep in curlers and wake up with a legit afro and wear poofy poodle-ear pigtails to school. Sometime around 10:00, you realize you in fact can't go to the license plate agency because you have growths coming out of your head and ribbons tied around said growths.

I'm not speaking from experience, or anything...

But really. I'm talking Bozo the Clown, hair sticking out inches from the side of my head kind of afro. At first I laughed, but then I was just really terrified to look at myself, so I settled for poofy pigtails instead.

The smart board man came to work on my smart board today and spent a solid two or three hours with us. Not looking like Bozo the Clown was a smart choice.

Picture Day
Picture day was Wednesday, and that was also the day that I woke up at 7:04 instead of 6:00 as I normally do. Falling asleep the second my head hit the pillow Tuesday night, I forgot to set my alarm clock. I bolted out of bed Wednesday morning and got ready as quickly as I could, praising God that we live 5 minutes away from school! I made it to school at 7:29. 7:30 is the start time for teachers. How could I not laugh about that?

On the other hand, I'm concerned about how my school picture might turn out...




Explorers

Yesterday and today, my students wrote creative papers on an exploration mission they were sent on. Most of them wrote that they were sent to an uncharted island by the President, that they took their friends as their team, and that they found jewels and unicorns (a seeming theme for our class this year) and huge elephants. All of the stories made me laugh quite a bit. I got to the final story, written by a boy that spent about twice as long writing as the other students did.

He chose to take Paula Deen along as part of his crew. I wrote, "good choice!" and continued reading. He went on to talk about how they went into an underground temple in Belize and found Buddha remains. He was the second one to go in to a hidden passageway.
"When we got the end we found the treasure. I quickly switched it with Paula Deen's cake. Then Indians started shooting poison darts at us. I rolled Paula Deen at them. STRIKE!"

I laughed out loud at my desk over that one. Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment