Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Riddle!

Wow, what a weekend! A busy and incredible weekend. Our children's retreat was absolutely wonderful. We were blessed to spend so much time with the kids; we haven't been able to meet with them very often in the time that we've lived here in Wilkesboro. We were amazed at their knowledge of the Bible. It was an incredible blessing to be with them and hear their thoughts on things...and watch them goof off and play silly games, too, of course!

Sunday night was Jared's ordination service and the blessings just kept coming! It was an amazing service. Jared's dad gave a wonderful charge to him, which was so special, coming from a pastor dad to a pastor son. Our pastor gave a charge to the church, and then the ordained folks in the church were called to pray for both of us and lay hands on us as we sat at the front of the church. Jared got a certificate and that was that! Talk about a powerful night...we couldn't be any happier to be serving here. :)

And now, for a riddle. Jared gave this to me when I came home today, and I was sleepy and perhaps a tad delusional. School days do that to me! Its a tricky one, but it made so much sense once I figured it out (I guess that's the point of a riddle, right?) thanks to the help of my lovely husband. That is, after he got done laughing at my ridiculous and completely wrong guesses. Read it and see if you can guess it more quickly than I did!


"This was written by a boy in California in response to an offer from a gentleman in Philadelphia that he would pay anyone $1,000 who could write a puzzle he could not solve.

He failed to do so, and paid the $1,000. The answer is one word, and it appears only four times in the Bible. It has five letters.

Who Am I?
Adam...God made out of dust, but thought it was best to make me first.
So I was made before men to answer God's most Holy plan.
A living being I became and Adam gave to me my name.
I from his presence then withdrew, and more of Adam never knew.
I did my Maker's law obey, not ever went it from astray.
Thousand of miles I go in fear, but seldom on earth appear.
For purpose wise which God did see, He put a living soul in me.
A soul from me God did claim, and took from me the soul again.
So when from me the should had fled, I was the same as when first made.
And without hands, or feet, or soul, I travel from Pole to Pole.
I labor hard by day, by night, to fallen man I gave great light.
Thousand of people young and old, will by my death great light behold.
No right or wrong can I conceive. "The Scripture I Cannot Believe."
Although my name therein is found, they are to me an empty sound.
No fear of death doth trouble me, real happiness I'll never see.
To Heaven I shall never go or to Hell below.
Now when these lines you slowly read, go search your Bible with all speed.
For that my name is written there, I do honestly to you declare."

I want to know your guesses! I'm thinking you're probably going to get it more quickly than I did :) Hint: If you are going to consult a Bible, go more the King James route than a more current translation. Post your guesses and I'll let you know the right answer tomorrow! Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment